Thursday, October 20, 2011

"How do you make your hair like that?"

Children naturally are inquisitive and often say the cutest things. It's been funny to see how over the last few weeks my hair has become a common theme of discussion and comments of students and teacher's alike. For those you of who do not know me, I have blonde, very, very curly hair. In this part of the world blonde hair is hard to come by as is curly hair. However, the combination of the two is even rarer. About a month ago, at our school open house a mother came up to me and said her son had told her all about me. He had said I was the same height, skin color, hair color, and my face looked much like another teacher. But he told his mom my hair looked like noodles! This was the first time I had ever heard this before. I had to laugh at such a comparison. Only a first grader would make such an observation. A few days later in a teacher's meeting one of the teachers leaned over to me and asked if she could touch my hair. I said of course and several of the teachers went on and on about how much they loved my hair. My cooperating teacher plays with it all the time and tells me not to pull it up in a ponytail, however I often do because it is so hot and humid. Just yesterday as I was waiting with my students for their parents to pick them up several of my girls touched and played with my hair as I bent down to talk with them. They asked "Miss, how do you make your hair like this?". "I don't", I told them, "God made it this way." A few days ago I had a group of KG girls surrounding me asking me about my hair asking the same question and referring back to my hair as noodles. Of course their little hands were running through my curls as we discussed why it was the way it is.

The things kids say and do are often the funniest things. Often when I am having a rough day one of my students will say something that is so refreshing and brings a smile to my face. "This," I think, "is the reason I love teaching". The children are what make school and teaching fun for me. My students are what give me energy and strength to make it through a busy week of school. They are the ones who make weekends away from them so hard and they are reason I love getting up every morning to go back to school. Their precious faces, clever sayings, and beautiful smiles are the reason I love doing what I do. So, with a head full of noodles, I will continue teaching my precious Class 1 students and savor every moment I have with them!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment