What a blessed day I had today. Last night my friends and I (we have become a clique of 5) went to a children's home and stayed the night with them. The home is made up of 12 children, the youngest being in kindergarten and the oldest in class 5. Typically these children have at least one parent living but the parents cannot take care of them. The family who started the orphanage takes the children in and takes care of them. When we arrived last night at the home, we sang different Sunday School songs with the children, both in English and their mother tongue. It was quite fun to sing songs with them. After dinner we played games, took pictures and told them a story. I think we kept them up a little past their bedtime, which is 10pm. This morning we got up and ate breakfast with them. We exposed them to the wonderful breakfast food of peanut butter and banana sandwiches. After breakfast we took the older children on a little hike up a hill that overlooks the city. It was a nice walk that had us all sweating by the time we got back to the home. After more singing, we decided we would take the 12 children to the local water park. So out we went again. This walk was a little longer and we were all ready for the water park when we got there. It was precious to see how excited the children were to be going to the park. Some skipped along the way, other laughed and smiled. Such a simple thing that in America children would often take for granted, but here going to the water park was a treat. While at the water park, smiles and laughs were abundant. For the 2 hours we were there I don't think any of us stopped smiling or laughing. Yes, it was a little daunting keeping our eyes on 12 children, the majority of whom don't know how to swim. However, I think their smiles and sparkling eyes made up for the stress of keeping up with everyone. I was reminded today of the simple treats in life God gives us to encourage us and make someone else's day so special. Through the songs we sang, games we played, and fun we had at the water park I thoroughly enjoyed my time with these 12 precious children. I pray God gives me other opportunities to spend time with them before I leave in December.
No comments:
Post a Comment