Saturday, September 15, 2012

Full Stomachs and Laughter

I sit here not able to sleep but knowing I should because morning is going to come all too quickly and it's never good to start the school week off tired. Nevertheless, sleep is evading me. I think my mind is too busy reminiscing of the wonderful evening I had. My roommate and I were invited over to the house of students who attend the school we teach at here. We had not been introduced to these students until tonight but tagged along with the Chancellor and her husband for dinner. We didn't know what a treat we were in for! Of course we knew the food and hospitality of this family would be fantastic, that's simply the way of life here. However, we did not expect the laughter and good humor which would accompany our meal.

In this country hosts love to load their guest's plates with food. It is rude not to eat everything that is put on one's plate but in this instance it was near impossible. While still working on our first round of food, our host quickly came around and began piling more rice and chicken on our plates. This occurred several times but after the second time we had to politely refuse and say we wanted to finish what was already on our plates. I am pretty sure I had three pieces of chicken not to mention four heaping spoon fulls of rice, two serving of vegetables and then fresh fruit and rice pudding for dessert. After dinner we were offered tea, which definitely couldn't be refused because it is simply delicious, biscuits and ice cream. Each time we had to tell our host if we ate another bite we would be sick. I am pretty positive I gained a few pounds during this visit. My clothes were definitely a little tighter when we left.

Though the food was delicious, the treat of this visit was getting to know these students and their family. I have seen the students around school, but have not had much interaction with them. I love seeing our students out of their uniforms and in a more relaxed setting. Just about every word spoken during this visit was followed with a laugh. I cannot even recollect what was said or why it was funny, but laughter prevailed. As we left this visit tonight I was reminded why I love this country. It's the people which make this country so beautiful. The people and their colors, smiles, laughs, and gestures caused me to fall in love with this place. They have a way about them which causes one to simply marvel at the beauty of God's creation. He made us all so unique, different, and beautiful. I feel so honored to have been given this opportunity by Him to live in a place so unlike my own home. It is a gift which I truly treasure and want to make the most of! As I make the most of this blessing God has given me to interact and build relationships with my students, I know it will include many more meals where I eat far more than I should but those meals will be accompanied by numerous laughs and smiles. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment