After being in this country for almost 3 years, I've finally found the desire to get serious about learning the local language. My first 2 years here, I took lessons on and off. I knew the basics of how to get around, go shopping, and feel safe in my environment. However, a point finally came this year, where I was tired of not fully knowing what was going on around me or how to respond. In that moment I determined if I came back for a 4th year, I would make a more serious effort to learn the language. However, that was going to be 9 months from now. This frustrated me a little, but I figured there was nothing I could do about the situation since I was quite swamped at school with preparation and grading as well as other extra curricular activities. Little did I know God was going to provide the perfect opportunity for me to really get serious with my language learning.
Toward the end of January we began to experience a bit of political unrest in the country. This resulted in the government calling multiple strikes. When this happens, all businesses, including schools, are closed. After a few days these strikes began to become more consistent. I found myself sitting at home with not much to do, except send an email or two instructing my students on how to proceed with their learning from home. I had all this extra time. What was I going to do with it? Then it hit me what an awesome time this would be for me to begin my language studies again. And with thought for the past 2 weeks I've been diligently studying this language that I've seen, heard, and even spoken (a little) over the past 3 years, but never fully grasped.
With so much time off from school, I've been able to study and progress much quicker than if I was in school every day. In the last 2 weeks I've learned all 50 letters of the alphabet, as well as 25 conjuncts (a new letter which is formed by 2 of the initial 50 letters being combined...there are 2 whole pages of conjuncts to learn!). With this knowledge of the alphabet I've been able to sound out and read many words. This has been very exciting for me! Each day when I go out I eagerly look at billboards and other signs attempting to sound out what is being advertised. The funny part about this is because my vocabulary is so limited, I do not know if the words I am sounding out are actually words or just weird sound I've concocted on my own. As I'm sure is the case with all new readers, I am very slow when it comes to reading any words or phrases. Because of this, when I attempt to read a sentence it takes me quite a long time. Often by the time I am done reading the sentence I have totally forgotten what the beginning of the sentence said. However, the few times I have read words, phrases, or sentences that I do know, I feel quite accomplished and very excited.
As a teacher, this whole process has been very intriguing to me. It's made me realize how hard learning to read really is. I feel like I've been made aware for the first time the patience and encouragement that is needed for students as they learn to read. It's very taxing to put so much energy and effort into sounding out one little word. What a huge accomplishment it truly is when a word is pronounced correctly. In addition to this, it's essential that students not only can read the words, but actually know what the word means in which they are sounding out. Do they understand what they are reading? That is the key. Finally, I've been reminded of the praise teachers should lavish their students with when learning to read. As I've learned this new alphabet and sounded out a variety of words, my teacher is quick to applaud or congratulate me on a job well done when I correctly sound out a word. It makes me feel very accomplished when she does this. This whole experience has made me stop and reflect on my own teaching. Am I patient and encouraging with my students? Do I encourage them through hard tasks and assignments? How do I help them become better learners?
I am looking forward to continuing this language learning adventure I am on. Though I'm sure bumps will come along the way, so far it's been a smooth enjoyable process. I can't wait for the day I can have a full conversation in this new language or read an entire passage and understand what I'm reading. But, as my teacher continues to remind me, it's a slow process. I hope it's one that I continue to enjoy. :)
Toward the end of January we began to experience a bit of political unrest in the country. This resulted in the government calling multiple strikes. When this happens, all businesses, including schools, are closed. After a few days these strikes began to become more consistent. I found myself sitting at home with not much to do, except send an email or two instructing my students on how to proceed with their learning from home. I had all this extra time. What was I going to do with it? Then it hit me what an awesome time this would be for me to begin my language studies again. And with thought for the past 2 weeks I've been diligently studying this language that I've seen, heard, and even spoken (a little) over the past 3 years, but never fully grasped.
With so much time off from school, I've been able to study and progress much quicker than if I was in school every day. In the last 2 weeks I've learned all 50 letters of the alphabet, as well as 25 conjuncts (a new letter which is formed by 2 of the initial 50 letters being combined...there are 2 whole pages of conjuncts to learn!). With this knowledge of the alphabet I've been able to sound out and read many words. This has been very exciting for me! Each day when I go out I eagerly look at billboards and other signs attempting to sound out what is being advertised. The funny part about this is because my vocabulary is so limited, I do not know if the words I am sounding out are actually words or just weird sound I've concocted on my own. As I'm sure is the case with all new readers, I am very slow when it comes to reading any words or phrases. Because of this, when I attempt to read a sentence it takes me quite a long time. Often by the time I am done reading the sentence I have totally forgotten what the beginning of the sentence said. However, the few times I have read words, phrases, or sentences that I do know, I feel quite accomplished and very excited.
As a teacher, this whole process has been very intriguing to me. It's made me realize how hard learning to read really is. I feel like I've been made aware for the first time the patience and encouragement that is needed for students as they learn to read. It's very taxing to put so much energy and effort into sounding out one little word. What a huge accomplishment it truly is when a word is pronounced correctly. In addition to this, it's essential that students not only can read the words, but actually know what the word means in which they are sounding out. Do they understand what they are reading? That is the key. Finally, I've been reminded of the praise teachers should lavish their students with when learning to read. As I've learned this new alphabet and sounded out a variety of words, my teacher is quick to applaud or congratulate me on a job well done when I correctly sound out a word. It makes me feel very accomplished when she does this. This whole experience has made me stop and reflect on my own teaching. Am I patient and encouraging with my students? Do I encourage them through hard tasks and assignments? How do I help them become better learners?
I am looking forward to continuing this language learning adventure I am on. Though I'm sure bumps will come along the way, so far it's been a smooth enjoyable process. I can't wait for the day I can have a full conversation in this new language or read an entire passage and understand what I'm reading. But, as my teacher continues to remind me, it's a slow process. I hope it's one that I continue to enjoy. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment