Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Cold Showers, Rickshaw Bells, and New Friends

These are things have that have become very common over the last two days that I have been here. The weather here is very humid. It is quite warm as well, but the humidity definitely trumps how hot it is. Because of this cold showers  have become a nice refresher. Even though once I take a shower I still feel like I need another  because of the humidity. Today we have had a little break from the heat because it's been raining buckets all day long. The rain apparently started last night (I was sleeping too soundly to notice) but it picked up this morning around 6:30 or 7 and has rained steadily since. This isn't the rainy season, so it's unusual for it to be raining. But, I'm not complaining.

Another thing I have become accustomed to hearing quite regularly is the ringing of rickshaw bells. I do not believe five minutes can pass without hearing the little ding of their bells. Here it is a common sound to hear these bells as well as car horns. It's as if the drivers are saying "I'm here. Move out of my way."


Today I went with the girls and did some more shopping. Our first stop was to the local super market. I was surprised at the wide variety of things you can buy here. On my shopping list was a toothbrush and razor (since my suitcase has yet to arrive). I also added a mango juice box to the list because one of the girls said the juice was delicious. I bought all of those items of only 78 taka, which is just over a dollar in U.S. money.

Some veggies at the local market. You never eat them unless the skin has been peeled off or you know what they have been washed with.

Our next stop was at the fabric shops. We all need shalwar chamises to wear. A few days ago we went and bought some fabric but today we did even more. I only bought fabric for two outfits because I'm low on cash until things get settled with the ATM fiasco a few days ago. One the shalwar chamises is yellow and green with embroidery and the other one is a red and tan color (I know I can't believe I bought red! In the U.S. I would only wear that at Target).  The girls I went shopping with went the a ribbon store and bought decorative ribbon to add to their outfits. The man at the store was so fun. He had a great eye for what would go with their fabrics. We also stopped by the tailor. Poor man has to be so confused and overloaded with work. I think we probably gave him around 15 outfits to make for us.

Aren't the colors wonderful?
I think the four of us were out shopping for almost 5 hours. I would never shop that long in the U.S. but for some reason I find that shopping is a little more adventuresome and fun here. Especially when you are with girls that are great to be around. I am blessed to have made new friends that love each other and the Lord. Each one of them has been so kind and generous to me as I adjust to life here. They have all offered me help and toiletries to use until my suitcase arrives. They are great girls who I am enjoying getting to know and look forward to working with for the next 3 months.

Life here is different; the sights, the sounds, the smells, but its such a wonderful place! I am blessed to be given the opportunity to do my student teaching in such an amazingly, unique country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment